WiFi 6/ WiFi Antenna not being dectected…

bremcs

Hi, I moved my PC, I removed the WiFi antenna to do so. When I turned it back on, I cannot get it to detect it. I took it off, switch the connecting bolt things (Edit: SMA type screw connectors) around etc but still nothing. I don’t even have the WiFi or Bluetooth icon on the taskbar tray when I click on it either.

I looked at the internet hardware in the settings where it states Intel Wifi 6 AX201 160MHZ status is not present and same with local connector 1 which is a Microsoft WiFi Direct Virtual Adapter. Nothing else comes up on the internet hardware menu besides Ethernet.

I’ve tried disabling the drivers via device manager and re-enabling them and it doesn’t work. I have tried rolling back the drivers updates, didn’t work and then tried to update them and still no luck.

I seen on a blog about solving this issue that you should have something like an Intel WiFi driver in device manager but I do not, would this be my issue? I have a Realtek Gaming 2.5Gbe Family Controller and then a bunch of miniports.

I’m really not technically smart when it comes to these things so I have no idea what to do about this.

It’s a motherboard WiFi, the motherboard is a ASUS Tuf Gaming B760 Plus WiFi

Last edited:

bremcs

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 12-Core Processor i7-12700KF (3.6GHz) 25MB Cache

Motherboard
ASUS® TUF GAMING B760-PLUS WIFI D4 (LGA1700, PCIe5.0, USB 3.2)

Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 8GB)

Graphics Card
12GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 4070 - HDMI, DP, LHR

1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB SOLIDIGM P41+ GEN 4 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 4125MB/sR, 2950MB/sW)

Power Supply
CORSAIR 650W CV SERIES™ CV-650 POWER SUPPLY

Power Cable
1 x 1.5 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)

Processor Cooling
DeepCool AK620 High-Performance Dual Tower

CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste

Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Network Card
ONBOARD LAN PORT
Wireless Network Card

NOT REQUIRED
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS

Operating System
Windows 11 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I took it off, switch the connecting bolt things around etc but still nothing. I don’t even have the WiFi or Bluetooth icon on the taskbar tray thing either.
What does this mean? What connecting bolt? External WiFi antennae are typically attached to the motherboard via SMA type screw connectors. You simply unscrew them (there are usually two) to remove the antenna and then screw them back on to replace it. It's the two brass coloured connectors, labelled WiFi 6, on your backplate here...

w800.jpg

They look like this...

s-l1200.jpg

Is that what you're talking about?

bremcs

What does this mean? What connecting bolt? External WiFi antennae are typically attached to the motherboard via SMA type screw connectors. You simply unscrew them (there are usually two) to remove the antenna and then screw them back on to replace it. It's the two brass coloured connectors, labelled WiFi 6, on your backplate here...

View attachment 41098

They look like this...

View attachment 41099

Is that what you're talking about?
Yes that’s what I meant. I couldn’t for the life of me remember what they were called.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
To be clear then, you unscrewed the two antenna cables, taking care not to damage them. You moved the PC. You then reconnected the two antenna cables.
  • Was the WiFi working before you moved the PC?
  • Were you careful as you removed the antenna connectors?
  • Were you careful as you reconnected the antenna connectors?
  • You didn't apply any force at any time?
  • Was the PC dropped, bumped, or banged at any time during the move?
  • Is everything else working normally apart from the WiFi and Bluetooth?
Please open Device Manager, expand the Network Adapters section and post a screenshot of that. Are there any entries in there with a yellow triangle containing a black exclamation mark next to them?

bremcs

To be clear then, you unscrewed the two antenna cables, taking care not to damage them. You moved the PC. You then reconnected the two antenna cables.
  • Was the WiFi working before you moved the PC?
  • Were you careful as you removed the antenna connectors?
  • Were you careful as you reconnected the antenna connectors?
  • You didn't apply any force at any time?
  • Was the PC dropped, bumped, or banged at any time during the move?
  • Is everything else working normally apart from the WiFi and Bluetooth?
Please open Device Manager, expand the Network Adapters section and post a screenshot of that. Are there any entries in there with a yellow triangle containing a black exclamation mark next to them?
Yes WiFi was working normally before I moved it.

I made sure to remove any USB cable etc before I removed the antenna to ensure I could properly access them. I slowly unscrewed them with my hand.

I made sure to put the antenna back on second after the power cable (the power switch was off) before putting USB cables etc back.

No, the PC was not bumped or dropped. I just moved the unit it sits on, it went from the unit to my desk to the unit again. It was moved in an upright position if that helps.

Yes everything is working as it should.

Under Device Manager and Network Adapters there’s nothing with a ! mark.

I’ve attached a few more photos that might be of help. I figured out how to turn the show hidden options on when in the Device Manager so I enabled that incase that helps.

Photos:

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
The "Unknown Device" is most likely your Wifi. Not sure how the diver has came corrupted but it sounds like it has.

The issue you're going to find is updating that driver without having the internet. It's worth right clicking on it and trying to get Windows to update the driver. It may not have automatically attempted it since you won't be connected to a network.

If you can temporarily use an Ethernet cable then that would get you going. Another option would be to tether to your phone via USB.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Right-click on that unknown device and select Properties, then click the Details tab. In there pull the Property menu down and select Hardware Id's. Post a screenshot of that display.

bremcs

The "Unknown Device" is most likely your Wifi. Not sure how the diver has came corrupted but it sounds like it has.

The issue you're going to find is updating that driver without having the internet. It's worth right clicking on it and trying to get Windows to update the driver. It may not have automatically attempted it since you won't be connected to a network.

If you can temporarily use an Ethernet cable then that would get you going. Another option would be to tether to your phone via USB.
I attempted to update the driver via this way and it states it’s unable to install unknown device.

I have a USB stick and a laptop, is there anyway I could use that to download whatever is required?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
The ACPI\VEN_ASUS&DEV_2018 device is the Asus System Control Interface, it's part of the Asus AI Suite software package. It's involved in may aspects of system control, including power management, overclocking, fan control, etc.

The obvious next step would be to suggest a reinstall of the Asus Ai Suite. I don't think this is related to the networking problem but it could be.

If this were a PCIe card we could imagine it working loose, but this is an on-board WiFi adapter. I can't help feeling that there is something you're not telling us here. There is more to this that just moving the PC and finding the WiFi doesn't work. If the WiFi was working before then it's not a software or driver problem - moving a PC doesn't affect the software. What else has gone on here....?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
AFAIK it won't install with Core Isolation on in any case. My point was only that that's where the drive for the unknown device will likely be found.

Something about this doesn't smell right.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Off topic - feel free to move/delete

I don't know if it was a recent Windows update that caused it, but I had a few worrying crashes (well, mostly failures to launch) in some games I'd played happily for 10s/100s of hours previously...and I probably get one or two crashes a month normally (unless it's Cat Quest 2 which never quits cleanly).

Had a read of some reddit posts and they suggested checking if Core Isolation was enabled...as they'd found it had been turned on recently and they only thing they'd done was install games and/or Windows updates...but it was happing in older games that hadn't been updated, and so pointed to a Windows update.

However, further research says that this default behaviour was in place many months before I'd started seeing issues....so it left me confused.

But then I realised I'd got a whole new PC in that timeframe, and some of the BIOS settings would be different/unoptimised! So using a combination of random mouse-clicks (not really) I turned off the Virtualisation option and all the problems disappeared (except Cat Quest 2).

But for the OP, I can't see how this would cause issues unless there's been a Windows or new PC build update during the move :(